- probate matter
- administration of estate
- execution of estate
- recover of property of dead
- next of kin
- testate and intesatte in nigeria
- wills act
- wills law
- nigerian law
- daily law tips
- sabi law
- learn nigerian laws
DAILY LAW TIPS by Onyekachi Umah,Esq. (Tip 144) “Who Can Inherit Property Of A Dead Person In Nigeria.”
DAILY LAW TIPS
by Onyekachi Umah,Esq.
“Who Can Inherit Property Of A Dead Person In Nigeria.”
“WILL” is not an invitation to death rather a strict instruction on how one’s property should be shared when he is dead. Where there is no “WILL”, the following persons can inherit the property of their dead ones in this particular order of priority:
1. Wife/Husband of the deceased
2. Where there is no Wife/Husband, then the children of the deceased.
3. Where the children died during the lifetime of deceased leaving grandchildren, then the said grand children of the deceased.
4.Where there is no child, then the Mother/Father of the deceased.
5. Where there is no Mother/Father, then the Brothers and Sisters of the deceased.
6. Where the brothers and sisters of the deceased died during the lifetime of the deceased, then the children of the late brothers and sisters of the deceased.
7. Where there are no children of brothers or sisters, then the step-brothers and step-sisters of the deceased.
8. Where the step-brothers and step-sisters, of the deceased died during the lifetime of the deceased, then the children of the step-brothers and step-sisters of the deceased.
9.Where there are no children of step-brothers and step-sisters, then the Grand-Father and Grand-Mother of the deceased.
10.Where there are no grand-fathers and grand-mothers, then the direct Uncles and Aunts of the deceased.
11. Where there are no Uncles and Aunts, then the creditors of the deceased.
12. Where there are no Creditors, then the Administrator-General of the State.
My authorities are section 49(1) of Administration of Estates Law, Lagos State and similar laws in other states of the Federation and the case of Williams V. Ogundipe (2006) ALL FWLR (part 327)p.540.
Share this till it gets to those that need it most. Save a Nigerian today!
To receive our Daily Law Tips for free follow our Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube via “@LearnNigerianLaws”.
Powered by www.LearnNigerianLaws.com
Onyekachi Umah is a private Legal Practitioner with amazing experience in human right, criminal law and civil law including; pre-trial detention, human rights enforcement, intellectual property, transaction and regulation advisory, corporate, commercial, investment law and energy law as well as litigation and arbitration arising from them. He is a Legal Awareness Expert and also a Certified Arbitrator both in Nigeria and the United Kingdom. He is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK) and a Certified Conflict Management Practitioner and Negotiator. He is a member of prestigious “Young ICSID” of International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), Washington DC. Among other, he has a certificate in Law of Contract from a program of Harvard University, a certificate in International Environmental Negotiation from United Nations Institute for Training and Research, Geneva and recently, a certificate in Conflict Management from United States Institute of Peace, Washington, D.C. He also holds a master of laws degree and he is a doctoral student at the faculty of law, NSUK.
Onyekachi is the managing partner of a leading law firm; Bezaleel Chambers International. He is the founder and President of a free law awareness platform known as www.LearnNigerianLaws.com that promotes awareness and understanding of rights and laws of Nigeria (#SabiLaw) and offers free daily law tips (#DailyLawTips). Understanding the challenges of Administration of Criminal Justice in Nigeria, he dedicates his daily law tips every Mondays to promoting Criminal Justice (#CriminalJusticeMonday). Recently, he started a new series on Election Laws tagged (#SabiElectionLaws) to increase legal awareness on elections laws, policies and regulations in Nigeria. He is the convener of the Sabi Law Lecture Series (#SabiLawLectureSeries), travelling around Nigeria delivering free law awareness lectures. He also organises and sponsors a quarterly competition, titled "Sabi Law Video Challenge" (#SabiLawVideoChallenge) where Nigerians win money (over $130.00 per winner) for making videos of themselves talking on any law or right as a way to promote law awareness and have fun. To further promote legal awareness among Nigerians across the world, he started a law awareness show titled "Sabi Law With Onyekachi Umah, Esq" (#SabiLawWithOnyekachiUmahEsq) showing on social media platforms via @LearnNigerianLaws.
Mr. Umah has written over Four Hundred (400) free to access articles and materials on law with a desire to enlighten the public. He is also on the board of companies and non government organisations. Among others, he is serving as a member of the Advisory Committee for Law Clinics Partnership for Reforming Pre-trial Detention in Kuje Prison Project funded by the United States Department Bureau for International Narcotics and Law Enforcement. He is an executive member of the Pre-Trial Curriculum and Handbook Review Committee. For more selfless service, is a member of the Rotary Club of Abuja, Metro (RCAM), District 9125. He was featured as the Legal Personality of the Week by This Day Newspaper (a leading national newspaper) on its September 11, 2018 edition and was also featured on the NigeriaLawyer.com as the Legal Personality of the Week on November 14, 2018. He has won several honours and awards for his innovative legal practise across the world.
Facebook: Onyekachi Umah J.
Linkedin: Onyekachi Umah
Latest from Onyekachi Umah
- MINIMUM INFORMATION THAT MUST BE IN DATABASE OF ALL ARRESTED PERSONS AT FEDERAL AND STATE LEVELS IN NIGERIA.* Daily Law Tips (Tip 415) by Onyekachi Umah, Esq., LLM. ACIArb(UK)
- WHEN CAN A VILLAGE/COMMUNITY IN NIGERIA BE CHARGED PERSONAL INCOME TAX.* Daily Law Tips (Tip 414) by Onyekachi Umah, Esq., LLM. ACIArb(UK)
- 25TH SABI LAW LECTURE SERIES TO HOLD ON 27 SEPTEMBER 2019 AT YLF, ON "CORPORATE GOVERNANCE PRACTISE IN NIGERIA; ANALYSING THE UP IN THE AIR SYSTEM AND THE OPPORTUNITIES FOR LAWYERS".
- 24TH SABI LAW LECTURE SERIES TO HOLD AT LIVING FAITH CHURCH, ABUJA, ON "LIABILITIES OF RELIGIOUS INSTITUTIONS AND THEIR WORKERS".
- IT IS AN OFFENCE FOR NONE LAWYER TO PREPARE ANY DOCUMENT/AGREEMENT RELATING TO RENT, BUILDINGS, LAND OR MINERAL RESOURCES.* Daily Law Tips (Tip 413) by Onyekachi Umah, Esq., LLM. ACIArb(UK)