DAILY LAW TIPS
by Onyekachi Umah,Esq.
OFFENCES THAT CAN BE COMMITTED WITH A BALLOT PAPER IN NIGERIA.
Ballot Paper is an important election material. It is said that, Ballot Paper is stronger than a bullet. You indicate your choice of candidate on a ballot paper.
The following are electoral offences that can be committed on or using a ballot paper;
1. Forging of ballot paper or official mark on it.
2. Destruction of ballot paper
3. Giving of ballot paper to another person without authority and
4. Removal of ballot paper from any polling station
The punishment for any of the above offences is imprisonment for not more than 2 years.
Another set of offences concerning a ballot paper is;
1. Unauthorised printing of ballot paper or fake ballot papers
2. Printing more than the approved numbers or quantity of ballot papers approved by Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)
3. Possession of ballot paper when not in process of voting
4. Manufacturing, Construction, importation, supply of devices or mechanism for secret storage or diversion of ballot papers in Nigeria.
The punishment for any of the above offences or an attempt to commit such is imprisonment for not more than 10 years and or N50, 000, 000.00.
My authorities are section 118(1)(e)(f)(g)(i), section 118(2),(3) and 158 of the Electoral Act, 2010.
NOTE: Sharing or modifying or publishing this publication without giving credit to Onyekachi Umah, Esq. and “LearnNigerianLaws.com” is a criminal breach of copyright and will be prosecuted. Please share this publication till it gets to those that need it most. Save a Nigerian today!
To receive our Daily Law Tips for free follow our Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube via “@LearnNigerianLaws”.
This publication is the writer’s view not a legal advice and does not create any form of relationship. You may reach the writer for more information.
Powered by www.LearnNigerianLaws.com